Chicago, Illinois: U-505 German Submarine
Museum visitors can tour a complete drydocked WWII German sub -- the only one exhibited in the US -- captured by the Allies in 1944.
Museum of Science and Industry
- 5700 S. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL
- Museum of Science and Industry, 57th Street and Lake Shore Drive. Museum underground parking garage.
- Daily 9:30 am - 5:30 pm. (Call to verify)
- $15 adults, $10 kids 3-11.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
U-505 German Submarine
Visitor Tips and News About U-505 German Submarine
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Actual German submarine captured by the Allies in 1944. Now it is in drydock in Chicago, part of the Museum of Science and Industry, where you can walk through and explore it. You can tour the whole ship, including the engine room, officers and sailors quarters, the radio room -- whatever you like.
[Karen Hudson, 01/03/2011]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
May 24, 2013
Illinois Latest Tips and Stories
- Feature: Dungeons & Dragons Park, Carbondale, Illinois
- Uniroyal Gal, Mount Vernon, Illinois
- The Ledge - 1,353 Feet Straight Down, Chicago, Illinois
- The Bean - Stoners' Delight, Chicago, Illinois
- "Gertrude" the Guernsey Cow, Rockford, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Mountain Meadows Massacre Mass Grave, Central, Utah
- Replica of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, Monticello, Indiana
- The Miner's Circle - Mine Explosion Graves, Lake City, Tennessee
- Buffalo Trails Museum, Epping, North Dakota
- Ice Cream Cone Shaped Building, Kissimmee, Florida
Latest Visitor Tips