Melita, Manitoba, Canada: Jay The Banana
Huge banana statue combines Melita's reputation as a prime viewing spot for blue jays and its "Banana Belt" climate, slightly warmer than the rest of Canada. But no bananas grow here.
Jay The Banana
Visitor Tips and News About Jay The Banana
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Passing through Melita, Manitoba on Highway 83 at the corner of Front Street in the town there is a giant banana statue. The Banana is named Jay and is holding a Blue jay and wearing a wrestling style championship Belt.
Melita is supposed to be a prime location in Manitoba to view blue jays, which explains the name of the Banana, but why a Banana? This area is known as the banana belt of Manitoba for its comparatively mild temperatures and rich land where great crops grow, but no one grows bananas there.
My tip for seeing the banana especially if you would like a picture with it, is to go before noon. We went around 4 pm in January and the shadow cast in front of the banana covers the people in the photo.
[Stefanie Edwards, 01/10/2011]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
September 2, 2014
Manitoba Latest Tips and Stories
- The Boy with the Boot, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Largest Lourdes Grotto in Manitoba, Cooks Creek, Manitoba
- 40-Foot-Long Rolls Royce, Steinbach, Manitoba
- Winnipeg Jets Statues, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- World's Largest Sturgeon, Dominion City, Manitoba
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Boy and the Boot Statue, Wellsville, Ohio
- Boy and the Boot Statue, Wausau, Wisconsin
- Feature: Museum of Aviation, Warner Robins, Georgia
- Popeye Statue, Siloam Springs, Arkansas
- Horse Drawn Steampunk, Elkridge, Maryland
Latest Visitor Tips