Hays, Kansas: "Monarch of the Plains" Bison Statue
1967 limestone sculpture by artist Pete Felten depicts an American bison, the Monarch of the Plains.
- US Hwy 40, Hays, KS
- Old Fort Hays parade grounds, southwest of Hays, south side of US Hwy 40/183.
Visitor Tips and News About "Monarch of the Plains" Bison Statue
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
"Monarch of the Plains" Bison Statue
18-ton limestone statue of the American bison, completed in 1967 by artist Pete Felten. Hard to make a buffalo look heroic, and he didn't.
[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 03/10/2011]
February 7, 2016
Kansas Latest Tips and Stories
- Highway Bear, Stilwell, Kansas
- Pioneer Crossing, Shawnee, Kansas
- Wheat Jesus, Colby, Kansas
- World's Largest Czechoslovakian Egg, Wilson, Kansas
- Haunted Kansas Aviation Museum, Wichita, Kansas
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Memorial to Doomed Space Shuttle Astronaut, Beaufort, North Carolina
- 20-Foot-Tall Wooden Nickel, Carl's Corner, Texas
- Seated Native American Statue, Roosevelt, Utah
- James Dean Birth Site Memorial, Marion, Indiana
- Biosphere 2, Oracle, Arizona