New Orleans, Louisiana: Fats Domino's Waterlogged Piano and other Katrina Relics
Permanent exhibit, "Living With Hurricanes," displays Katrina relics.
Louisiana State Museum
- 751 Chartres St., New Orleans, LA
- In the French Quarter, on Chartres St. (pedestrian only) between St. Ann and St. Peter St. At the Louisiana State Museum at the Presbytere, which is next to St. Louis Cathedral opposite Jackson Square.
- T-Su 10 am - 4:30 pm. (Call to verify)
Fats Domino's Waterlogged Piano and other Katrina Relics
Visitor Tips and News About Fats Domino's Waterlogged Piano and other Katrina Relics
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
A permanent exhibit at the Louisiana State Museum, "Living With Hurricanes," displays relics salvaged only days after Katrina struck. Highlights include the ruined baby grand piano taken from the flooded home of Fats Domino; a replica levee wall with water seeping through it; a recreated attic with a hole chopped in the roof (with the actual chopping ax); and "The Mabry Wall" -- a daily diary written on an apartment wall by a guy who was trapped there for over a month.
[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 04/02/2011]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Cabildo Museum - Death Mask, Caskets, Leeches, New Orleans, LA - < 1 mi.
- New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum, New Orleans, LA - < 1 mi.
- Voodoo Merman, New Orleans, LA - < 1 mi.
- Voodoo-Enhanced New Orleans Cemetery, New Orleans, LA - 3 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
October 26, 2014
Louisiana Latest Tips and Stories
- Marker: Where Stars Flirted with Local Girls, Morganza, Louisiana
- Birthplace of Willie Robertson, Bernice, Louisiana
- Feature: Louisiana State Penitentiary Museum, Angola, Louisiana
- Feature: Huey Long Death Gun, Speechifying Statue, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Feature: Huey Long Shot Here: See the Bullet Hole, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Cateraptasaurus, Rosedale, Maryland
- Mother Mary's Totem, San Luis, Colorado
- Penobscot Narrows Observatory and Bridge, Prospect, Maine
- Big Travel Mug, North Smithfield, Rhode Island
- Mr. Potato Head Pizza Guy, Providence, Rhode Island
Latest Visitor Tips