Tacoma, Washington: Shell from the Battleship Maine
Artillery shell from the Battleship Maine is an incongruous element in and otherwise serene Asian garden.
- 5801 Trolley Ln., Tacoma, WA
- Trolley Lane, behind the Pagoda in Point Defiance Park.
- Sunrise to sunset. (Call to verify)
Remember the Meh?
Visitor Tips and News About Shell from the Battleship Maine
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Not quite sure why this little war monument made such a strong impression. Maybe it's the placement in the darkest corner of an otherwise lovely Asian garden, where no sunlight would reach it. Maybe it's the laconic brass plate, identifying it only as a ten-inch shell from the U.S.S. Maine. As if we'd remember without prompting the ship that mysteriously exploded in Havana's harbor and which touched off that tawdry little episode in US history, the Spanish-American war.
Remember the Maine? Nah, I'm good.
[Peg Boettcher, 04/10/2011]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
February 1, 2015
Washington Latest Tips and Stories
- Muffler Man - Stevedore Man, Everett, Washington
- World's Largest Egg, Winlock, Washington
- Flying Saucer with Transporter Beam, Everett, Washington
- World's Second Service Station Site, Seattle, Washington
- Dick and Jane's Spot, Ellensburg, Washington
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- VW Hippie Bus Entrance, Robertsdale, Alabama
- Metal Plane Sculpture, Hobbs, New Mexico
- Two-Story Outhouse, Cedar Lake, Michigan
- James Dean Car Crash Site, Shandon, California
- Fast Food Race Car Museum, Muncy, Pennsylvania
Latest Visitor Tips