Tacoma, Washington: Shell from the Battleship Maine
Artillery shell from the Battleship Maine is an incongruous element in and otherwise serene Asian garden.
- 5801 Trolley Ln., Tacoma, WA
- Trolley Lane, behind the Pagoda in Point Defiance Park.
- Sunrise to sunset. (Call to verify)
Remember the Meh?
Visitor Tips and News About Shell from the Battleship Maine
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Not quite sure why this little war monument made such a strong impression. Maybe it's the placement in the darkest corner of an otherwise lovely Asian garden, where no sunlight would reach it. Maybe it's the laconic brass plate, identifying it only as a ten-inch shell from the U.S.S. Maine. As if we'd remember without prompting the ship that mysteriously exploded in Havana's harbor and which touched off that tawdry little episode in US history, the Spanish-American war.
Remember the Maine? Nah, I'm good.
[Peg Boettcher, 04/10/2011]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 20, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Washington Latest Tips and Stories
- DB Cooper Days - Ariel Tavern, Ariel, Washington
- Right-Wing Uncle Sam Billboard, Chehalis, Washington
- Yard Bird Statues, Chehalis, Washington
- Brackett's Landing Public Art Collection, Edmonds, Washington
- Cool Gary Wooden Sculpture, Vashon, Washington
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Bailey Art Museum - Robots of Clayton Bailey, Crockett, California
- Big Moose Country Store, Hoosick, New York
- Confederate Nuclear Missile, Cordele, Georgia
- Grave of Rocky's Adrian, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- World's Largest Functioning Fire Hydrant, Las Vegas, Nevada
Latest Visitor Tips