Denver, Colorado: 20-Foot-Tall Dog Made of Dog TagsAt Denver's Municipal Animal Shelter, "Sun Spot" is a 20-foot-tall metal dog sculpture covered with over 90,000 shiny stainless steel dog tags.
- 1241 W. Bayaud Ave., Denver, CO
- Stands outside the Denver Municipal Animal Shelter, on the southeast corner of the property. I-25 exits 208 or 207-B. Turn west onto Hwy 26/Alameda Ave., drive across the river bridge, then immediately turn right at the "Motel 5" sign onto S. Platte River Drive. Drive north less than a half-mile to the dog, on the right.
Visitor Tips and News About 20-Foot-Tall Dog Made of Dog Tags
90,000 metal dog tags gleam on the completed sculpture at Denver's animal shelter.[Roy Munson, 04/02/2012]
"Sun Spot" is a 20-foot-tall metal mutt covered with over 90,000 shiny stainless steel dog tags. It stands outside of Denver's new Municipal Animal Shelter, designed to resemble a friendly "every dog." The tags dangle so that the dog's skin undulates in the wind, and LEDs at night make it change color as it ripples. Unlike a real sun spot, this Sun Spot is meant to be stared at, although doing so for too long may trigger altered states of consciousness.[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 05/26/2011]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Buckhorn Exchange Restaurant - 500 Stuffed Animals, Denver, CO - 1 mi.
- Giant Metal Cow Statues, Denver, CO - 2 mi.
- Big Sweep - Dust Pan and Broom Sculpture, Denver, CO - 2 mi.
- In the region: Buffalo Bill's Grave and Museum, Golden, CO - 13 mi.