Kansas City, Missouri: Castle Northmoor
A stone tower, one-man castle built by Harlan Shaver from 1981-1983. Tower contains Shaver's oil paintings of knights; spiral staircase leads to treasure chest.
- NW 50th Tr., Kansas City, MO
- I-29 exit 3A, south on Missouri AA turn left onto NW 50 Terrace, on left before NW Frontier Rd.
- Daylight, not holidays.
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Visitor Tips and News About Castle Northmoor
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
There is a miniature space shuttle in the yard adjacent. Castle front is pretty cool. [James, 02/03/2013]
Starting in 1981, and inspired by one-man American castles built elsewhere, Harlan Shaver spent two years constructing his own in his yard. His stone tower is 40-ft. tall and features handmade oak doors, lion statues, gargoyles and oil portraits he painted of medieval knights. The spiral staircase inside leads to the top and a treasure chest containing laminated articles about the castle. Shaver died in the 2000s.
[Regina Taylor, 06/19/2011]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
March 7, 2014
Missouri Latest Tips and Stories
- Robert Wadlow's Shoe, Macon, Missouri
- World's Largest Pecan, Brunswick, Missouri
- Feature: George Bush Was In Our Parade, Marshfield, Missouri
- Star Wars "At-At Walker" Mailbox, Kansas City, Missouri
- Museum of the Dog, St. Louis, Missouri
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Mr. Little, Santa Ana, California
- Menagerie of Sculptures, New Gretna, New Jersey
- Sci-Fi Donut Store, Bellingham, Washington
- Tardis in South Carolina, York, South Carolina
- Huge Paper Airplane, Mukilteo, Washington
Latest Visitor Tips