Carcross, Yukon Ter., Canada: World's Smallest Desert
Windy weather and leftover grit from a glacier has formed a one-square-mile sandpile in an otherwise unparched part of the world.
- Klondike Hwy., Carcross, YT, Canada
- On the east side of the Klondike Hwy/Hwy 2 (it actually straddles the highway, but the sign is on the east side) a little over a mike north of Carcross.
World's Smallest Desert
Visitor Tips and News About World's Smallest Desert
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Strange to see sand dunes in the middle of the frozen arctic. Our driver said this is the result when a glacier has ground up all the rock and dirt into sand, then recedes.
[Dan Morris, 07/19/2012]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Grave of Polly the Parrot, Carcross, YT, Canada - 1 mi.
- Giant Paddle Wheel, Whitehorse, YT, Canada - 33 mi.
- Bicycle Wheel Rim Dome, Whitehorse, YT, Canada - 38 mi.
- In the region: Skagway Brothel Museum, Skagway, AK - 55 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
May 23, 2013
Yukon Ter. Latest Tips and Stories
- Bicycle Wheel Rim Dome, Whitehorse, Yukon Ter.
- World's Smallest Desert, Carcross, Yukon Ter.
- Sign Post Forest, Watson Lake, Yukon Ter.
- Giant Paddle Wheel, Whitehorse, Yukon Ter.
- Giant Beaver, Whitehorse, Yukon Ter.
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Rabbit Hash General Store, Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
- Mountain Meadows Massacre Mass Grave, Central, Utah
- Replica of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, Monticello, Indiana
- The Miner's Circle - Mine Explosion Graves, Lake City, Tennessee
- Buffalo Trails Museum, Epping, North Dakota
Latest Visitor Tips