Crestwood, Illinois: Missile in the Park
Military surplus (and de-weaponized) "Honest John" missile has been the symbol for Illinois' "Village on the Move" since 1980.
- 139th St., Crestwood, IL
- Walker Park at the corner of 139th Street and Long Avenue. Go west from Cicero Avenue (IL-50) on 135th Street and turn south on Long, or west on Midlothian Turnpike and turn north on Long.
Missile in the Park
Visitor Tips and News About Missile in the Park
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
In 1980, the Village of Crestwood, Illinois decided to construct a municipal park. The Village administration learned that they could obtain either a military surplus gun, a vehicle, or a missile to place in the new park. As Crestwood's slogan is "Village on the Move," they chose an "Honest John" missile, as it would be a sign of the future. After more than 30 years, the "Honest John" is still at its post overseeing the large, pleasant park area.
[John Holmes, 08/05/2011]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
March 1, 2015
Illinois Latest Tips and Stories
- Bluesmobile on a Stick, Joliet, Illinois
- 9/11 Memorial with Pittsburgh Misspelled, Springfield, Illinois
- Grace the Dress-Up Shark, Charleston, Illinois
- Memorial to Circus Train Wreck Dead, Forest Park, Illinois
- Stuffed Moray Eel in Appliance Store, Glenview, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- UFO Office Building, North Canton, Ohio
- Flaming Geyser State Park, Auburn, Washington
- Gram Parson's Death Hotel, Joshua Tree, California
- Last Silent Movie Studio in Jacksonville, Jacksonville, Florida
- Big Doughnut, Donut King II, Gardena, California
Latest Visitor Tips