Crestwood, Illinois: Missile in the ParkMilitary surplus (and de-weaponized) "Honest John" missile has been the symbol for Illinois' "Village on the Move" since 1980.
- 139th St., Crestwood, IL
- Walker Park at the corner of 139th Street and Long Avenue. Go west from Cicero Avenue (IL-50) on 135th Street and turn south on Long, or west on Midlothian Turnpike and turn north on Long.
Visitor Tips and News About Missile in the Park
In 1980, the Village of Crestwood, Illinois decided to construct a municipal park. The Village administration learned that they could obtain either a military surplus gun, a vehicle, or a missile to place in the new park. As Crestwood's slogan is "Village on the Move," they chose an "Honest John" missile, as it would be a sign of the future. After more than 30 years, the "Honest John" is still at its post overseeing the large, pleasant park area.[John Holmes, 08/05/2011]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Most Haunted U.S. Cemetery?, Midlothian, IL - < 1 mi.
- King Tin Man, Oak Forest, IL - 3 mi.
- Doughboy Cannon, Blue Island, IL - 4 mi.
- In the region: Monument To "The Ideal Section" Of The Lincoln Highway, Dyer, IN - 17 mi.