Hays, Kansas: Famous Fish within a Fish FossilA fish, fossilized after just eating a smaller fish, which was also fossilized. "If you come through Kansas again you must see that fossil."
Sternberg Museum at Fort Hays University
- 3000 Sternberg Drive, Hays, KS
- Sternberg Museum at Fort Hays University. I-70 exit 159. Drive south, turn left on 27th St., drive about a mile, then turn left again on Sternberg Drive.
- T-Sa 9 am - 6 pm, Su 1-6pm. (Call to verify)
Visitor Tips and News About Famous Fish within a Fish Fossil
Besides the fish at the Sternberg Museum, there is an authentic shrunken head near the 2nd floor restrooms and an animatronic T-Rex on the 3rd floor.[Liz, 07/30/2010]
Sternberg Museum of Natural History in Hays (785-628-4286) opened in a new museum building in early 1999 and is devoted mainly to dinosaurs. What gives Sternberg its fame is one of the fossils old Mr. Sternberg discovered: the "fish within a fish" fossil. The actual fossil is on display, along with a diorama of Sternberg digging up the find. The museum is filled with life-sized models and murals of prehistoric creatures. Kids will like it more than adults, but even I, visiting alone, spent a good hour looking around. If you come through Kansas again you must see that fossil.[Robert Collins, 12/07/2000]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- "Monarch of the Plains" Bison Statue, Hays, KS - 3 mi.
- Massacred Railroad Workers Cemetery, Victoria, KS - 9 mi.
- Grave of the Man who Gave us Angus Beef, Victoria, KS - 9 mi.
- In the region: World's Largest Collection of World's Smallest Versions of World's Largest..., Lucas, KS - 43 mi.