New Orleans, Louisiana: Oldest Bar in the the USHistoric pub, built between 1722 and 1732, used by pirate Jean Lafitte 1772-1791 as a front smuggling activities. On Bourbon Street; stop in for a pint.
- 941 Bourbon St., New Orleans, LA
- Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop, Bourbon St. and St. Philip St.
Visitor Tips and News About Oldest Bar in the the US
Lafitte's is a cool place with tons of history. Great time if you're of age, with a great atmosphere.[Anthony B, 03/23/2014]
This most unusual thing about this bar is that it is entirely lit by candles. They have electricity, but it is not used for lighting.[Dan Kaplan, 04/22/2012]
The oldest bar in the United States. Owned by the pirate Jean Lafitte and used as a cover for his being in New Orleans. It was built in 1730.[McGill, 08/27/2011]
Claims to be the oldest building used as a bar. Structure built between 1722 and 1732, used by brothers Jean and Pierre Lafitte 1772-1791 as the front for their smuggling activities.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum, New Orleans, LA - < 1 mi.
- Voodoo Merman, New Orleans, LA - < 1 mi.
- Fats Domino's Waterlogged Piano and other Katrina Relics, New Orleans, LA - < 1 mi.
- Statue of Molly Marine, New Orleans, LA - < 1 mi.