Iron Mountain, Michigan: Bat Hibernation Mines
A million bats hibernate in old iron mine shafts. A viewing area is provided to watch them pour out of a mine at dusk or dawn in search of food.
- Park Ave., Iron Mountain, MI
- East of US Hwy 141. Turn north on 3rd (next to the Hardee's) and go up the hill till it turns to Park Ave., then look for the sign.
- Dusk and dawn. Seasonal.
Bat Hibernation Mines
Visitor Tips and News About Bat Hibernation Mines
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Apparently over a million bats come to hibernate in the mine shafts of these old iron mines. They have a bat viewing area where you can sit and watch the bats pour out of the mine from just a few feet away. The show starts at dusk. However we sat around for about and hour on either side of sunset in late September and got to see 5 bats. I think the bats had already started their long winter's nap. If the weather has been warm I think you may have better luck. There is also a resident population that live in the mines during the summer. If you don't see the bats it's a great site to watch the sunset.
[Phrank Phester, 10/02/2011]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 6, 2013
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Michigan Latest Tips and Stories
- Parking Garage with Beautiful Ceiling, Detroit, Michigan
- Hollywood Sign Replica, Waterford, Michigan
- Strange Sculpture - Procession to Hell, Dexter, Michigan
- Tiny Church Prayer Chapel, Olivet, Michigan
- Mental Hospital Tour: Buildings and Tunnels, Traverse City, Michigan
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Adlai Stevenson II Resting, Bloomington, Illinois
- Miller Park Artillery, Bloomington, Illinois
- Longest Epitaph In Granite, Bloomington, Illinois
- Coffinwood, Pahrump, Nevada
- White Squirrels of the Pacific, Dana Point, California
Latest Visitor Tips