Ada, Oklahoma: Lightning Ridge Frog RockA rock painted to look like a green frog with goggle eyes.
- Lighting Ridge Rd, Ada, OK
- Southwest of town. Take Hwy 1 south of US 377 for a couple of miles, then turn west onto Lighting Ridge Rd/E1570 Rd/Farm To Market Rd for a couple of miles.
Visitor Tips and News About Lightning Ridge Frog Rock
The rock was created by local resident Juanita Coulson in the spring of 1975, as sort of a surprise/joke for her husband after seeing the rock one day and noticing its shape reminded her of a frog. She has repainted it every spring since then, except for one year when an extended hospital stay prevented her from doing so, and it has become a well-known local landmark. It is featured in Episode 077 of "Explore Ada," aired on OETA-OKLA, in which she is interviewed and tells the story herself.[Matt T., 07/14/2012]
This rock has been painted like a frog since my father grew up in Ada back in the 1950s (his first memories of it were that time frame). He told me he'd always remembered it painted that way and every few years someone would re-do the fading paint job. I've been going to Ada since I was a child in the 1970s and it's always been a fun site on the way out to my grandfather's farm! Don't get too distracted by the frog or you'll hit one of the turtles that park themselves on the road for warmth![Jana Blake Chapline, 07/19/2005]
The famous "Lightning Ridge Frog Rock." I guess it resembled a frog and somebody dressed it up a little.[Jimmy Gibbs, 12/16/2000]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Playground Rocket, Ada, OK - 4 mi.
- Butterfly on Giant Metal Hand, Stratford, OK - 13 mi.
- Sipokni Western Town, Reagan, OK - 27 mi.
- In the region: Hot, Cold and "Home of Woody Guthrie" Water Towers, Okemah, OK - 54 mi.