Toledo, Ohio: Decommissioned Army Rocket
Next to the University of Toledo football stadium stands an old Nike-Ajax missile theoretically targeted in to knock out the Rocket's chief rival.
- 2801 West Bancroft St., Toledo, OH
- Next to the Glass Bowl, NE corner at Stadium Dr. and N. Glass Bowl Dr. Parking enforcement is strict during the week, so be sure to park off campus or visit on the weekend.
Decommissioned Army Rocket
Visitor Tips and News About Decommissioned Army Rocket
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
In recognition of the University of Toledo's mascot, the Rockets, there is a decommissioned US Army rocket angled skyward on a post next to the football stadium, the Glass Bowl. The 2,000 lb. Nike-Ajax supersonic missile is no longer usable, but according to the University's website, if it could be launched "it would blast off and land directly on the 50-yard line of the Doyt Perry Football Stadium in Bowling Green [UT's main sports rival]."
[Nicholas Roth, 11/18/2011]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
May 24, 2013
Ohio Latest Tips and Stories
- Grave of Agnes Moorehead, Doomed "Bewitched" Actress, Dayton, Ohio
- Cleveland Police Museum, Cleveland, Ohio
- Strange Concrete "Egg" Structure, Logan, Ohio
- Eggshelland, Lyndhurst, Ohio
- Wright Flyer Replica, North Canton, Ohio
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Mountain Meadows Massacre Mass Grave, Central, Utah
- Replica of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, Monticello, Indiana
- The Miner's Circle - Mine Explosion Graves, Lake City, Tennessee
- Buffalo Trails Museum, Epping, North Dakota
- Ice Cream Cone Shaped Building, Kissimmee, Florida
Latest Visitor Tips