Toledo, Ohio: Decommissioned Army RocketNext to the University of Toledo football stadium stands an old Nike-Ajax missile theoretically targeted in to knock out the Rocket's chief rival.
- 2801 West Bancroft St., Toledo, OH
- Next to the Glass Bowl, NE corner at Stadium Dr. and N. Glass Bowl Dr. Parking enforcement is strict during the week, so be sure to park off campus or visit on the weekend.
Visitor Tips and News About Decommissioned Army Rocket
In recognition of the University of Toledo's mascot, the Rockets, there is a decommissioned US Army rocket angled skyward on a post next to the football stadium, the Glass Bowl. The 2,000 lb. Nike-Ajax supersonic missile is no longer usable, but according to the University's website, if it could be launched "it would blast off and land directly on the 50-yard line of the Doyt Perry Football Stadium in Bowling Green [UT's main sports rival]."[Nicholas Roth, 11/18/2011]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Bridge Lit with LED Rainbow, Toledo, OH - 5 mi.
- Hot Dog Bun Museum, Toledo, OH - 6 mi.
- Giant Uncle Sam Statue, Ottawa Lake, MI - 7 mi.
- In the region: Silvio's Italian American Historical Artistic Museum, Redford, MI - 52 mi.