Libby, Montana: Asbestos Memorial Picnic AreaTremolite asbestos dust from the vermiculite mine has contaminated parts of Libby, a superfund site since 2002. A picnic area is restful, but residents are still advised to avoid activities that kick up dust.
- City Services Rd, Libby, MT
- City Services Road, north of California Ave./Rt 37 Bridge, South of North Colorado Ave.
Visitor Tips and News About Asbestos Memorial Picnic Area
On the south bank of the Kootenai River is a picnic shelter built and named in honor of the many Libby residents who have been harmed by the tremolite asbestos dust from the vermiculite mine operated in Libby Montana by W. R. Grace & Co. It is complete with one of the Libby eagles.
Many in Libby would like to forget the disaster that is still brewing in the bodies of its residents. Maybe a picnic shelter is making the best of a bad situation.[ManaliPC, 11/18/2011]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- City of Eagles, Libby, MT - < 1 mi.
- Gray Bear Trading Post photo opportunity, Libby, MT - 1 mi.
- Large Fishing Pole With Fish, Troy, MT - 16 mi.
- In the region: Business in a Foundering Boat (formerly the The Barber Ship), Bonners Ferry, ID - 40 mi.