El Paso, Texas: National Border Patrol Museum
National Border Patrol Museum
- 4315 Trans Mountain Rd, El Paso, TX
- I-10 to US 54 North (Patriot Fwy). Take the Transmountain Road exit, turn left on Woodrow Bean Transmountain Dr., museum will be on the right.
- Tu-Sa 9 am - 5 pm. (Call to verify)
- Free (donations accepted)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
In operation since 1985, it traces "the rich heritage of the patrol from the days of the Wild West to today's sophisticated law-enforcement technology." Roadsideamerica.com Report... [01/09/2011]
Visitor Tips and News About National Border Patrol Museum
The price is right for this stop (free; donations welcome). Easy to find, easy in and out. Our visit was complete in less than an hour. Staff was friendly. Interesting history and a few quirky stories of elaborate "people-smuggling" attempts. Even buy your own USBP t-shirts.[Mike and Geneva, 08/15/2005]
See various ways people have tried to sneak into the US over the years. See an actual car-hood that was used as a raft. Vehicles from the US Border Patrol also on display. Considering that the Rio Grande in the El Paso area is nothing more than a few ponds, I wonder how long before this museum becomes a relic of bygone times.[Heidi Crabtree, 01/14/2001]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- House of Sugar: Folk Art Confection, El Paso, TX - 5 mi.
- Grave of Wild West's No. 1 Killer, El Paso, TX - 8 mi.
- Highest Aerial Tramway in the U.S., El Paso, TX - 7 mi.
- Chamizal National Memorial - It used to be in Mexico, El Paso, TX - 9 mi.