Alvwood, Minnesota: Surveying Goof - The Lost Forty
Somebody messed up the forest survey in 1882; as a result this patch of 114-acres -- called The Lost Forty -- escaped the local Bunyans and still stands today, including 300 year old white pine trees. Walking trail at the site.
Blackduck Forestry Area
- Forest Rd 2240, Alvwood, MN
- The Lost Forty is pretty far off the beaten path. Starting in Alvwood, MN, go 11 miles E on Co Hwy 29, then 2 miles N on Co Hwy 26 to Forest Road 2240. Go less than 1 mile to parking lot.
Surveying Goof - The Lost Forty
Visitor Tips and News About Surveying Goof - The Lost Forty
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
In Minnesota's northwoods, there is an area called The Lost Forty, a 114-acre site of virgin red pine trees that was never logged back in the 1800's. Apparently due to a surveying error, the area was mapped as a lake and the trees were never chopped down. Some trees are over 300 years old and tower over 200 ft tall.
[BS Meyer, 01/02/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
July 25, 2014
Minnesota Latest Tips and Stories
- Northernmost School in the Contiguous (Lower 48) States, Angle Inlet, Minnesota
- Northernmost Post Office in the Lower 48 States, Angle Inlet, Minnesota
- Jolly Green Giant, Blue Earth, Minnesota
- Bench for "You Can't Always Get What You Want" Man, Excelsior, Minnesota
- Paul Bunyan's Chair and Tin Man, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Ivenergy Wind Farm Turbine Blade, Judith Gap, Montana
- Ryegate Testicle Festival, Ryegate, Montana
- Liquor Store Indian, Mandan, North Dakota
- Muensterberg Plaza and Clock Tower, Berne, Indiana
- Twist O' The Mist, Niagara Falls, New York
Latest Visitor Tips