Alvwood, Minnesota: Surveying Goof - The Lost Forty
Somebody messed up the forest survey in 1882; as a result this patch of 114-acres -- called The Lost Forty -- escaped the local Bunyans and still stands today, including 300 year old white pine trees. Walking trail at the site.
Blackduck Forestry Area
- Forest Rd 2240, Alvwood, MN
- The Lost Forty is pretty far off the beaten path. Starting in Alvwood, MN, go 11 miles E on Co Hwy 29, then 2 miles N on Co Hwy 26 to Forest Road 2240. Go less than 1 mile to parking lot.
Surveying Goof - The Lost Forty
Visitor Tips and News About Surveying Goof - The Lost Forty
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
In Minnesota's northwoods, there is an area called The Lost Forty, a 114-acre site of virgin red pine trees that was never logged back in the 1800's. Apparently due to a surveying error, the area was mapped as a lake and the trees were never chopped down. Some trees are over 300 years old and tower over 200 ft tall.
[BS Meyer, 01/02/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
January 26, 2015
Minnesota Latest Tips and Stories
- 45th Parallel Marker, Golden Valley, Minnesota
- Commercial Diver Memorial, Plymouth, Minnesota
- Polar Bear and Seal, Winger, Minnesota
- Birthplace of F. Scott Fitzgerald, St. Paul, Minnesota
- House of Balls, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- 30-Foot-Tall Native American Head, Ocean Springs, Mississippi
- Zinc Civil War Soldier, Graves of Interest, Iola, Kansas
- Large Bird Fighting a Snake, Fort Pierce, Florida
- Pirate Statue, Otway, North Carolina
- Stuffed Moray Eel in Appliance Store, Glenview, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips