Kaleva, Michigan: Big Grasshopper Sculpture
Big and well-done. Built of scrap metal in honor of St. Urho, who drove the grasshoppers out of Finland and saved the grape crop. Or not.
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Visitor Tips and News About Big Grasshopper Sculpture
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Grasshopper Sculpture of Kaleva, Michigan, one of the best welded-junk sculptures I've seen. It's very competently and neatly produced, more than just an oddity. It was built by a local high school teacher and his students. It represents a grasshopper featured in Finnish legend..... Kaleva was settled by immigrants from Finland. The thing stands about 4 feet high at the head.
[Sarah Spooldripper, 08/14/2004]
St. Urho Tribute - Giant Grasshopper
In town is a giant grasshopper made from scrap metal by a neighboring high school shop class. It is in honor of St. Urho's Day, March 16, when St. Urho drove the grasshoppers out of Finland, thus saving the grape crop. Kaleva is a word of Finnish origin.
[Kristen Kreiner, 01/27/2001]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
March 29, 2015
Michigan Latest Tips and Stories
- Big Chicken Statue, Byron Center, Michigan
- Abortion Memorial, Newaygo, Michigan
- Chi-Town Union Station, Commerce Twp, Michigan
- Bowling Ball Tree, Hulbert, Michigan
- Ford Rouge Factory Tour, Dearborn, Michigan
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Vicksburg National Military Park, Vicksburg, Mississippi
- Historic Oakville Jail and Guesthouse, Oakville, Texas
- Dancing Blues Brothers, Joliet, Illinois
- Tom's Cypress, Waldo, Florida
- Sarasota Jungle Gardens, Sarasota, Florida
Latest Visitor Tips