Elk Grove Village, Illinois: Elk Pasture - Town Elk Herd
A forest preserve shelters a herd of 20 or so elk, a herd originally hauled into the area in a spurt of early 20th century civic pride.
Elk Pasture - Town Elk Herd
Visitor Tips and News About Elk Pasture - Town Elk Herd
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Elk Grove Village is devoted to Elk. They're on the street signs, water tower, car stickers... everything. At some point in the 1920s, the citizens of Elk Grove Village decided that they should have real elk. So they got a herd, despite the fact that they're not native to the area. The herd (about 20 animals) lives in a large open enclosure all year around in the middle of a forest preserve. They are HUGE and smelly, but very interesting. They aren't scared of people, so go right up to the fence.
[Katy Spindler, 03/17/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
May 22, 2013
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Illinois Latest Tips and Stories
- Feature: Dungeons & Dragons Park, Carbondale, Illinois
- Uniroyal Gal, Mount Vernon, Illinois
- The Ledge - 1,353 Feet Straight Down, Chicago, Illinois
- The Bean - Stoners' Delight, Chicago, Illinois
- "Gertrude" the Guernsey Cow, Rockford, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Mountain Meadows Massacre Mass Grave, Central, Utah
- Replica of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, Monticello, Indiana
- The Miner's Circle - Mine Explosion Graves, Lake City, Tennessee
- Buffalo Trails Museum, Epping, North Dakota
- Ice Cream Cone Shaped Building, Kissimmee, Florida
Latest Visitor Tips