New York, New York: Giant Wall Chessboard
From 48th St., pedestrians can witness the weekly progress of great chess matches recreated on a vertical chessboard attached to a nine-story apartment building.
Giant Wall Chessboard
Visitor Tips and News About Giant Wall Chessboard
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
When the building at 767 3rd Avenue was built, its owners decided to install a giant (four-story-high!) vertical chessboard on the adjacent nine-story apartment house. The board is used to recreate great chess matches of the past, as blue and beige playing pieces two feet in diameter are moved each Wednesday at noon. A flag, flying to the board's left, heralds which color moves next, or whether a match has reached checkmate.
A permanent plaque below the board refers pedestrians to the lobby of the building where the concierge can supply a bulletin with playing tips and information on the match in progress. You need to be on 48th Street to see the board.
[Jerome Strauss, 03/21/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
March 7, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
New York Latest Tips and Stories
- Feature: Lincoln Meets Grow-a-Beard Girl, Westfield, New York
- Feature: Lucy Desi Museum and Desilu Studios, Jamestown, New York
- Feature: World's Largest I Love Lucy Mural, Jamestown, New York
- Feature: Lucy Vitameatavegamin Mural, Jamestown, New York
- Feature: Lucy's Grave, Jamestown, New York
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- The Mine Shaft Bar, Yuma, Arizona
- Lithium Water Fountain, Ashland, Oregon
- Giant Spider Sculpture, Woodstock, Georgia
- Robert Wadlow's Shoe, Macon, Missouri
- Sun Glasses Head on a Truck, Yuma, Arizona
Latest Visitor Tips