Fryeburg, Maine: Jockey Cap Rock, Robert Peary Monument
Fryeburg, Maine - Jockey Cap Rock, Robert Peary Monument
Visitor Tips and News About Jockey Cap Rock, Robert Peary Monument
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Jockey Cap Rock is a huge igneous rock dropped in what is now Fryeburg, Maine by the glaciers that carved the White Mountains. The short hike to the top provides wonderful views in all directions.
On top of Jockey Cap is a monument erected to honor Admiral Robert E. Peary who discovered the North Pole. Peary lived in Fryeburg and made drawings of the area from the top of Jockey Cap. The monument can be used to find the names of the surrounding mountains.
In the 1930s Jockey Cap was a ski area with the state's first rope tow. It's a favorite of rock climbers, and has caves to explore at its base.
[S L Frost, 04/11/2012]
Jockey Cap Rock, Robert Peary Monument:
Address: Route 302, Fryeburg, ME
Directions: From Fryeburg Academy on Main Street, Fryeburg, continue east on Route 302 for 1.3 miles. Jockey Cap Rock is on the left, with the trail head just east of the Jockey Cap store and motel at the far end of the parking lot.
Hours: open dawn to dusk
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
August 19, 2014
Maine Latest Tips and Stories
- Big Boyz Worker Statue, Augusta, Maine
- The Great Maine Lumberjack Show, Trenton, Maine
- Elmer's Barn of Junk and Dead Things, Coopers Mills, Maine
- Ray Murphy's Chainsaw Show, Hancock, Maine
- Wedding Cake House, Kennebunk, Maine
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Carson Mansion - Quintessential Haunted House, Eureka, California
- Chrome Longhorn Sculpture, Johnson City, Texas
- President Clinton, Train Engineer, Hope, Arkansas
- Duck Dynasty Headquarters, Monroe, Louisiana
- Mary Todd Lincoln's Sanitarium Bed, Batavia, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips