Independence, Kansas: Dinosaurs, Nursery Rhyme scenesA stegosaurus, brontosaurus, and the corythosaurus from the 1964-65 New York World's Fair, along with nursery rhyme statues, populate a local park that has other surprises as well.
- Wells Drive, Independence, KS
- Riverside Park. North side of town, on Wells Drive just east of US Hwy 75.
Visitor Tips and News About Dinosaurs, Nursery Rhyme scenes
Has an old time merry go round, miniature golf and a small train ride around the park. Great for young children.[Charlie, 05/30/2010]
In the middle of Riverside Park are these huge dinosaurs, at least two -- a stegosaurus and a brontosaurus -- surrounded by fences. Another interesting thing about the park is that it was where the first monkey sent into space was born. Also, part of the park has a lot of nursery rhyme stuff like three huge bears, a giant pumpkin that an adult can walk into, Miss Muffet in front of a large spiderweb, a huge hippo water drinking fountain, there is so much at this park![D'Andre Martin, 02/19/2001]
November 2007: Another dinosaur is here as well -- the Corythosaurus from the 1964-65 New York World's Fair.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Monkey Island, Home of America's First Space Monkey, Independence, KS - < 1 mi.
- Dalton Death Alley, Coffeyville, KS - 15 mi.
- Dalton Defenders Museum, Coffeyville, KS - 15 mi.
- In the region: Hubbell's Rubble, Howard, KS - 34 mi.