Frederick, Maryland: Roads and Rails Museum
Model train layouts can be dull, but this one features fictional locales from TV shows and a UFO landing site with crop circles. Another plus: it's big.
- 200 N. East St., Frederick, MD
- Downtown. On the corner of N. East St. and E. 2nd St.
- M, Th, F 10-5, Sa 10-5, Su 12-5 (Call to verify)
- Adults- $7; Kids-(3-11) $4 (Includes Tax). Kids under age 3 admitted free.
Roads and Rails Museum
Visitor Tips and News About Roads and Rails Museum
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
A family operates an enormous model train layout, said to be one of the largest in the country. It opened in the summer of 2011. Several trains run throughout. The variety of scenery includes several areas (not based on any real places) with towns, farms, diners, a circus, a volcano, and even a UFO landing site with crop circles. Along the path around the layout there are some buttons to push that make things light up or move.
There is a second building where they plan to display old cars, but that is not ready yet. It is a new facility which is wheelchair accessible, so I was able to bring my elderly mother to see it. It made a nice outing for Mother's Day.
[Julie Mangin, 05/21/2012]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- National Museum of Civil War Medicine, Frederick, MD - < 1 mi.
- Statue of John Hanson, First U.S. President, Frederick, MD - < 1 mi.
- Dwarf Soldiers in Yard, Frederick, MD - < 1 mi.
- In the region: Gargoyles, Washington National Cathedral, Washington, DC - 38 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
March 10, 2014
Maryland Latest Tips and Stories
- Mini-Soldier Army, Frederick, Maryland
- MOOT: Museum of Outdated Technology, Rockville, Maryland
- Prayer Stop (Tiny Church), Silver Spring, Maryland
- Hug Me Sweater Tree, Baltimore, Maryland
- Big Strawberry, Queen Anne, Maryland
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: The Wooldridge Monuments, Mayfield, Kentucky
- Graffiti Bridge, Pensacola, Florida
- Babe the Muffler Man, San Jose, California
- Olympic Torch Tower, Atlanta, Georgia
- World's Largest Indoor Train Display, West Chester, Ohio
Latest Visitor Tips