Dayton, Tennessee: Scopes Monkey Trial
Historic courthouse building where attorneys Clarence Darrow and William Jennings Bryan sparred in 1925 over the teaching of evolution in a high school science class.
- 1475 Market St., Dayton, TN
- Downtown. The museum and historical marker are on the west side of Hwy 30/Market St. between 2nd and 3rd Aves. The museum is in the basement of the old courthouse. The actual courtroom is upstairs, but it's sometimes in use and not always open to the public.
Scopes Monkey Trial
Visitor Tips and News About Scopes Monkey Trial
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The courthouse that had the Scopes Monkey Trial, original condition courtroom, display in the courthouse basement. First national radio broadcast was of the trial. Lawyers Clarence Darrow and William Jennings Bryan were two of the greatest speakers that the court ever had. Bryan died shortly after the trial. Bryan College is nearby in Dayton.
[Tom Coyle, 06/09/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
May 21, 2013
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Tennessee Latest Tips and Stories
- Feature: National Knife Museum, Sevierville, Tennessee
- Feature: Mud Island, Memphis, Tennessee
- Feature: Hannah's Maze of Mirrors, Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
- Sugar Flat Road Creature, Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Gas Station Shaped Like an Airplane, Powell, Tennessee
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- 25-Foot-Tall Santa with Thick Head, Watson, Saskatchewan
- Big Green Dinosaur, Wharton, Texas
- Metalmorphosis - Giant Head, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Giant Arrow, Plains, Texas
- Waverly Hills Sanatorium - Ghost Tours, Louisville, Kentucky
Latest Visitor Tips