Willamette, Oregon: Monument to Willamette Meteorite: USA's LargestA plaque on a pocked, meteorite-like boulder commemorates one record-size bruiser discovered in the vicinity in 1902, but not at this spot. And the real meteorite is in a museum in New York.
- 1683 Willamette Falls Dr, Willamette, OR
- In front of the Willamette United Methodist Church, West Linn. Willamette Falls Dr and 14th St.
Visitor Tips and News About Monument to Willamette Meteorite: USA's Largest
"In 1902 Ellis Hughes discovered the 15 1/2 ton Willamette Meteorite. The largest ever found in the United States. About 2 miles NW of this place."
This is the text on the plaque, on a rock that doesn't necessarily resemble the meteorite. It isn't in the location where it fell, or where it was found. There was no impact crater and so it most likely didn't land there either. Scientists believe it floated on a glacier at some point. Also, the finder moved it to his own land to attempt to claim ownership.
The actual meteorite is now in a museum of Natural History in New York. So, it's not the most exciting attraction, but it is in the parking lot of a church with very pretty stained glass windows, on a super cute small town main street.[Jody Day, 06/02/2012]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Municipal Elevator Ghost, Oregon City, OR - 3 mi.
- End of The Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, Oregon City, OR - 3 mi.
- Statue of Liberty Replica, Milwaukie, OR - 4 mi.
- In the region: Wendy the Welder - Striding Cubist Lady Worker Statue, Vancouver, WA - 19 mi.