Lufkin, Texas: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Pumping UnitDuring the winter holidays, oil pumping equipment company Lufkin Industries sets up a pumper at the mall decorated as a cheery cybernetic reindeer pulling a sleigh. The lighting ceremony is held before Thanksgiving.
- S 1st St., Lufkin, TX
- SE corner of US59 and Loop 287 in Lufkin, in the Lufkin Mall parking lot.
- Seasonal Nov.-Jan.
Visitor Tips and News About Rudolph the Red-Nosed Pumping Unit
This is a seasonal roadside attraction (November-January). Lufkin, Texas is home to Lufkin Industries, the manufacturer of heavy oil pumping equipment. Lufkin Industries has customized one of their oil pumpers to look like a reindeer. Each holiday season, Rudolph is assembled on the major thoroughfare in town, and lit and decorated. For 40+ years, people of East Texas (plus many others) have come to view this "reindeer" and take photos.[Kay Bernzweig, 06/08/2012]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Appetizing Snow Cone, Huntington, TX - 9 mi.
- Shuttle Columbia Debris Site, Nacogdoches, TX - 21 mi.
- Johnson's Rock Shop and Museum, Livingston, TX - 43 mi.
- In the region: Only International Boundary Marker Within the U.S., Logansport, LA - 64 mi.