Marietta, Minnesota: Salt Lake...of Minnesota!
Minnesota's only alkaline lake attracts brine-loving birds, and birdwatchers who use the viewing platform.
- 111th Ave., Marietta, MN
- Take County Rd 7 south out of Marietta. Make a right at 210th St/CR 7, and then a left once you get to the lake. On your left hand side you will find a parking lot with info signage and a viewing deck.
Salt Lake... of Minnesota!
Visitor Tips and News About Salt Lake...of Minnesota!
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Outside of tiny Marietta on the western plains of MN is Salt Lake, the only alkaline lake in the state. This briny body of water attracts all sorts of birds not native to the area and is a birdwatching mecca. Alkaline soils run off into the lake, which has no inlet or outlet, leaving it a legitimate salt lake. There is an informational sign and a nice viewing platform area. I also took a small trail down to the shore and tasted it. Yep, just like the ocean!
[BS Meyer, 06/11/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
January 30, 2015
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Minnesota Latest Tips and Stories
- 45th Parallel Marker, Golden Valley, Minnesota
- Commercial Diver Memorial, Plymouth, Minnesota
- Polar Bear and Seal, Winger, Minnesota
- Birthplace of F. Scott Fitzgerald, St. Paul, Minnesota
- House of Balls, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- 30-Foot-Tall Native American Head, Ocean Springs, Mississippi
- Zinc Civil War Soldier, Graves of Interest, Iola, Kansas
- Large Bird Fighting a Snake, Fort Pierce, Florida
- Pirate Statue, Otway, North Carolina
- Stuffed Moray Eel in Appliance Store, Glenview, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips