Keene, New Hampshire: Teacher's Desk Tombstone
The granite grave marker of school teacher Charlotte Gemmell (1920-2003) is shaped like a desk, complete with essential books and an apple.
Monadnock View Cemetery
- Park Ave., Keene, NH
- Monadnock View Cemetery, 3 mi. NW of town. Right side of Park Ave.
- Dusk 'til dawn
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Teacher's Desk Tombstone
Visitor Tips and News About Teacher's Desk Tombstone
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
This is the tombstone for a local teacher who passed away in 2003. It resides in the Monadnock View Cemetery, which is oddly named because you can't actually see nearby Mt. Monadnock from the cemetery itself. When I was there in April 2012, the woman's son was visiting from the Midwest and he was happy to see someone enjoying his mother's stone. He also pointed out his brother's stone nearby that's shaped like a baseball.
This cemetery is also the burial site of Keene's hometown civil rights hero Jonathan Daniels, who was killed by a shotgun blast while defending a girl in Alabama in 1965.
[Tim Hulsizer, 06/11/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
May 25, 2013
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
New Hampshire Latest Tips and Stories
- Fort Dearborn, Decoy Ship Building, New Castle, New Hampshire
- Thomas the Train, Enfield, New Hampshire
- Giant Paul Bunyan, Canaan, New Hampshire
- Anti-Gravity Monument, Keene, New Hampshire
- America's Stonehenge, Salem, New Hampshire
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Mountain Meadows Massacre Mass Grave, Central, Utah
- Replica of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, Monticello, Indiana
- The Miner's Circle - Mine Explosion Graves, Lake City, Tennessee
- Buffalo Trails Museum, Epping, North Dakota
- Ice Cream Cone Shaped Building, Kissimmee, Florida
Latest Visitor Tips