Morganton, North Carolina: Brown Mountain Lights
Mysterious balls of yellow or blue fire haunt nighttime Brown Mountain. A handy overlook helps you spot 'em.
- Jonas Ridge Hwy., Morganton, NC
- Brown Mountain. Best seen from an overlook located on Jonas Ridge Hwy/Hwy 181 about 12 miles north of Morganton. Brown Mountain is about three miles east of the overlook.
Brown Mountain Lights
Visitor Tips and News About Brown Mountain Lights
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
For centuries, there have been reports of lights on Brown Mountain. The lights are not man made, are not "swamp gas," and appear to be balls of yellow or blue white fire.
Although initially a North Carolina legend, sightings have been verified numerous times and have been the subject of academic study.
If you visit the overlook, you may see the lights -- if not, some of the ones there with you to observe the lights will have numerous stories to tell.
[B.K. Simerson, 03/13/2001]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
August 22, 2014
North Carolina Latest Tips and Stories
- The Witches' Keyhole, Lenoir, North Carolina
- Pose with the Original Carolina Hillbilly, Edneyville, North Carolina
- Harry's Grill and Piggy's Ice, Hendersonville, North Carolina
- Historic Anti-Racist Lunch Counter, Greensboro, North Carolina
- Pirate of Otway, Otway, North Carolina
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Carson Mansion - Quintessential Haunted House, Eureka, California
- Chrome Longhorn Sculpture, Johnson City, Texas
- President Clinton, Train Engineer, Hope, Arkansas
- Duck Dynasty Headquarters, Monroe, Louisiana
- Mary Todd Lincoln's Sanitarium Bed, Batavia, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips