Virginia Beach, Virginia: Witch of Pungo Statue
Grace Sherwood was tried for witchcraft, failed the test, yet somehow survived. A sympathetic bronze statue of her, along with her raccoon sidekick, stands on the grounds of the local hospital.
Sentara Bayside Hospital
- N. Witchduck Rd, Virginia Beach, VA
- On the north side of N. Witchduck Rd just east of its intersection with Independence Blvd. On the grounds of Sentara Bayside Hospital.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Witch of Pungo Statue
Visitor Tips and News About Witch of Pungo Statue
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The statue is on the corner of the property across from Walgreens. The historical marker there (past statue, close to Independence Rd) is also worth seeking out. [Linda Hirw, 06/09/2014]
Statue of a Witch
Grace Sherwood was the infamous "Witch of Pungo." She was tried for witchcraft in 1705-1706, and as a test the court ordered her to a "trial by water." Her hands were tied to her feet and she was thrown in the Lynnhaven River. If she floated she was a witch, if she sank and drowned then she was pure of spirit. She survived and lived to be 80. Witchduck Road, which runs right past the statue, is named for her ordeal. It's interesting that the statue is on the grounds of a hospital, as witches were considered to be healers. A nearby historical marker explains the witch trial story. There's also an 18th century Anglican church within eyesight of the statue.
[Shepherd Johnson, 07/28/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
January 30, 2015
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Virginia Latest Tips and Stories
- Cowtopia Putt Putt Golf, Urbanna, Virginia
- Mark Cline Muffler Man, Urbanna, Virginia
- Chessie the Bear, Chesapeake, Virginia
- Lorton Workhouse Museum - Suffragettes Behind Bars, Lorton, Virginia
- Bunny Man's Bridge - Urban Legend, Clifton, Virginia
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- 30-Foot-Tall Native American Head, Ocean Springs, Mississippi
- Zinc Civil War Soldier, Graves of Interest, Iola, Kansas
- Large Bird Fighting a Snake, Fort Pierce, Florida
- Pirate Statue, Otway, North Carolina
- Stuffed Moray Eel in Appliance Store, Glenview, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips