Virginia Beach, Virginia: Witch of Pungo Statue
Grace Sherwood was tried for witchcraft, failed the test, yet somehow survived. A sympathetic bronze statue of her, along with her raccoon sidekick, stands on the grounds of the local hospital.
Sentara Bayside Hospital
- N. Witchduck Rd, Virginia Beach, VA
- On the north side of N. Witchduck Rd just east of its intersection with Independence Blvd. On the grounds of Sentara Bayside Hospital.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Statue of a Witch
Visitor Tips and News About Witch of Pungo Statue
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Grace Sherwood was the infamous "Witch of Pungo." She was tried for witchcraft in 1705-1706, and as a test the court ordered her to a "trial by water." Her hands were tied to her feet and she was thrown in the Lynnhaven River. If she floated she was a witch, if she sank and drowned then she was pure of spirit. She survived and lived to be 80. Witchduck Road, which runs right past the statue, is named for her ordeal. It's interesting that the statue is on the grounds of a hospital, as witches were considered to be healers. A nearby historical marker explains the witch trial story. There's also an 18th century Anglican church within eyesight of the statue.
[Shepherd Johnson, 07/28/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 5, 2013
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Virginia Latest Tips and Stories
- Big Viking Resurrected, Chincoteague, Virginia
- Big Apple, Winchester, Virginia
- Robot Cyborg Muffler Man, Buena Vista, Virginia
- Vintage Roadside Signs at Self-Storage, Bristol, Virginia
- Feature: Confederate Battle Pig, Cana, Virginia
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- White Squirrels of the Pacific, Dana Point, California
- Grave of the Oldest Civil War Soldier, Chillicothe, Iowa
- Munch Box, Chatsworth, California
- Site of World's First Radio Telescope, Wheaton, Illinois
- Once-a-Year Monarch Butterfly Grove, Pismo Beach, California
Latest Visitor Tips