Lucas, Kansas: Mini Mount Rushmore, House of BarbiesFlorence Deeble built replicas of her favorite postcards, including Mount Rushmore, in her back yard. After she died, another artist filled the first floor of her house with found-object art made of mannequins and Barbies.
- 126 S. Fairview Ave., Lucas, KS
- On the east side of S. Fairview Ave., midway between 1st and 2nds Sts. One block west and a half-block north of the Garden of Eden.
- Yard is free. Tours of house and yard: $6.00
Visitor Tips and News About Mini Mount Rushmore, House of Barbies
Florence Deeble recreated postcards of her travels in concrete in her backyard in Lucas, Kansas. When she passed away, her family donated her house to the Grassroots Art Center. Mri Pilar approached the Grassroots folks and offered to make art in the house. They asked what she had done. She answered, "Nothing, yet." She started making altered Barbies, and now the first floor of the house is the "Garden of Isis," full of found-object art made from mannequins and dolls.[Kim Newell, 09/10/2012]
Florence Deeble reportedly was inspired to make yard art by watching her neighbor, Sam Dinsmoor, when he was building his Garden of Eden around the corner. Her miniature Mount Rushmore is as photogenic as the original.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Bowl Plaza: World's Most Artsy Public Toilets, Lucas, KS - < 1 mi.
- World's Largest Collection of World's Smallest Versions of World's Largest..., Lucas, KS - < 1 mi.
- The Garden of Eden, Lucas, KS - < 1 mi.
- In the region: Geographical Center of the 48 States, Lebanon, KS - 53 mi.