Grant, Colorado: 55-Foot-Tall JesusChrist the King was erected in 1933. At the time, it was the second tallest Jesus in the world. It stands on a distant, private hillside, lessening its awesomeness.
- 51321 US Highway 285, Grant, CO
- On the north side of US Hwy 285/Santa Maria Rd, 37.5 miles west of the Hwy 470 beltway around Denver. Pull off the highway in the little gravel turn-off; you'll see the statue on a hillside to the north, on private property.
Visitor Tips and News About 55-Foot-Tall Jesus
Christ the King is a 55-foot tall statue erected in 1933, a gift from the Dower family. Since the statue is on private property, you must use the pull-offs near the YMCA Santa Maria Camp to take photographs.[Outspoken1, 10/12/2012]
The statue was built as a kind of billboard for what was then a former resort turned into a Catholic summer camp for poor boys and girls. At the time of its construction, it was the second tallest Jesus in the world.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Coney Island Hot Dog-shaped Diner, Bailey, CO - 8 mi.
- Steve Canyon Statue, Idaho Springs, CO - 21 mi.
- Gold Dredge Restaurant, Breckenridge, CO - 22 mi.
- In the region: Buckhorn Exchange Restaurant - 500 Stuffed Animals, Denver, CO - 39 mi.