Estherville, Iowa: Estherville Meteorite Fell HereA rock with a plaque marks the spot, or close to the spot, where a locally-famous space chunk fell to earth.
- Hwy 4, Estherville, IA
- On the east side of Hwy 4, where it joins 390th Ave. About 2.5 miles north of Hwy 9 in Estherville, or 5.5 miles south of the Minnesota state line.
Visitor Tips and News About Estherville Meteorite Fell Here
I thought I should tell you guys that the person who was "travelling" through Estherville is actually the mayor of our town. And, the roadside marker is nothing special. It's a big rock with a plaque on it. Yay.
I don't know if you guys care or not, but, it makes me mad that he's trying to pass this off as a "tourist attraction"...[Tyler, 01/01/2000]
While traveling through Estherville, we stopped at a roadside marker describing a meteor that fell near Estherville in 1880. We stopped at the local library and viewed a "chunk" of the actual meteor. Ironically, on a visit to Chicago, we saw two "chunks" of the famous Estherville meteor at the Field Museum.[Lyle Hevern, 08/12/1998]
Well, it sure ramps up the amusement factor....
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Spirit Lake Massacre Monument and Graves, Arnolds Park, IA - 17 mi.
- Horse and Human Drinking Fountain, Welcome, MN - 19 mi.
- Southern MN Music, Linda McCartney's Meatless Frozen Entrees, Fairmont, MN - 23 mi.
- In the region: The Real Linus Statue, Sleepy Eye, MN - 59 mi.