Birchdale, Minnesota: Basshenge
Not "bahhs" like the fish but "base" like the musical instrument. Built circa 2001 by Chicago Symphony principal bassist Joe Guastafeste as a tribute to both Stonehenge and the double bass.
- Hwy 11, Birchdale, MN
- On the north side of Hwy 11 about 40 miles west of International Falls or 2.65 miles east of Birchdale. Frankly, it's not near anything.
Visitor Tips and News About Basshenge
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
I was driving along the Canadian border on Highway 11 out in the middle of nowhere when I spotted these sculptures reminiscent of Stonehenge. There are 21 of them arranged in a circle, and some reportedly line up with the sun during the winter equinox. I learned that its name is "Basshenge," and that it was built circa 2001 by Chicago Symphony principal bassist Joe Guastafeste as a tribute to both Stonehenge and the double bass. They really ought to put up a sign or marker at the site so visitors know what they're looking at.
[Warren Gammel, 10/18/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
July 22, 2014
Minnesota Latest Tips and Stories
- Northernmost School in the Contiguous (Lower 48) States, Angle Inlet, Minnesota
- Northernmost Post Office in the Lower 48 States, Angle Inlet, Minnesota
- Jolly Green Giant, Blue Earth, Minnesota
- Bench for "You Can't Always Get What You Want" Man, Excelsior, Minnesota
- Paul Bunyan's Chair and Tin Man, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Ryegate Testicle Festival, Ryegate, Montana
- Liquor Store Indian, Mandan, North Dakota
- Muensterberg Plaza and Clock Tower, Berne, Indiana
- Twist O' The Mist, Niagara Falls, New York
- Cadillac Ranch, Amarillo, Texas
Latest Visitor Tips