Denville, New Jersey: Hunan Taste: Gaudy RestaurantA colorful agglomeration of ancient China and Polynesian exotica, in restaurant form. Sip a giant cocktail through a really long straw. Opened in 1986.
- 67 Bloomfield Ave., Denville, NJ
- On the south side of Bloomfield Ave. just west of its merge with Broadway.
- Open daily, hours vary. (Call to verify)
Visitor Tips and News About Hunan Taste: Gaudy Restaurant
Hunan Taste really stands out in Denville, for obvious reasons. Kind of pricey, but pretty good food. A quick and easy stop off Interstate 80 to see. In addition to the hokey decor, there are koi fish![Carly B, 03/22/2013]
Hunan Taste's colorful Chinese exterior looks like the building was airlifted out of the Forbidden City.
Hunan Taste is a Chinese restaurant with over-the-top architecture and decor that will transport you from New Jersey to China. If there were such a thing as the National Register of Gaudy Places this would be on it. Soak in the kitsch, then share a flaming Volcano Love Bowl ("this tropical cocktail will eloquently enhance your ultimate romance") with your fellow travelers using two-foot-long straws before feasting on surprisingly good eats.[Sir, 01/02/2013]
There's probably an "America Taste" restaurant somewhere in China, resembling the White House and decorated with hamburger-hoisting Uncle Sams and red white and blue bald eagles. We'd want to eat there, too.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- The Guinness Collection of Automata, Morristown, NJ - 7 mi.
- Piece of Grover Cleveland's Wedding Cake, Caldwell, NJ - 11 mi.
- Chapel of the Droopy Crosses, Totowa, NJ - 14 mi.
- In the region: Mass Grave of World War I Ammo Plant Disaster Victims, Parlin, NJ - 31 mi.