Moorhead, Minnesota: Replica of 12th Century Norway Church
A full-scale replica of the 12th Century Hopperstad stave church in Vik, Norway. Its architecture is a little bit Viking, a little bit sword and sorcery.
Heritage-Hjemkomst Interpretive Center
- 202 1st Ave. N., Moorhead, MN
- Just east of downtown, at the Heritage-Hjemkomst Interpretive Center. Just across the river from Fargo. I-94 exit 1 north, left on 1st Ave. N., right after 2nd stoplight. In Viking Ship Park. Church is behind the Center, accessed via walking path from the parking lot.
- Free, donations appreciated.
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Norwegian Stave Church
Visitor Tips and News About Replica of 12th Century Norway Church
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
A real masterpiece of craftsmanship and a wonderful experience as a piece of architecture. The wood even has a wonderful scent. No admission charge is necessary to view the exterior -- you simply walk over to it from the parking lot. However, to view the inside you have to be part of a guided tour. For that, apparently, the admission fee is required, but on the day that I visited they were unable to give me a tour. Maybe phone ahead if you want to be sure of seeing the inside. [Flamingo John, 08/15/2013]
Stave Church Replica
In Moorhead on the banks of the Red River stands the The Hopperstad Stave Church, adjacent to the Heritage Hjemkomst Center. The church is a full-scale replica of the 12th Century Hopperstad stave church in Vik, Norway. It is representative of the Scandinavian heritage found in Minnesota and North Dakota. [BS Meyer, 02/02/2013]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
July 25, 2014
Minnesota Latest Tips and Stories
- Northernmost School in the Contiguous (Lower 48) States, Angle Inlet, Minnesota
- Northernmost Post Office in the Lower 48 States, Angle Inlet, Minnesota
- Jolly Green Giant, Blue Earth, Minnesota
- Bench for "You Can't Always Get What You Want" Man, Excelsior, Minnesota
- Paul Bunyan's Chair and Tin Man, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Salem Sue, World's Largest Holstein Cow, New Salem, North Dakota
- Grand Canyon Deer Farm, Williams, Arizona
- Sit On Einstein's Lap, Washington, DC
- Gargoyles, Washington National Cathedral, Washington, DC
- Big Bluegill Fish, Birchwood, Wisconsin
Latest Visitor Tips