Elizabethtown, Kentucky: Approximate Cannonball in BuildingIt's been stuck in this particular building wall since 1887 -- but it was fired from the cannon in 1862. When the original building burned down, the cannonball was salvaged and placed on the new building in its approximate original strike spot.
Hardin County Courthouse
- W. Dixie Ave., Elizabethtown, KY
- On the northwest corner of courthouse square, where W. Dixie Ave. ends and intersects N. Main St. The cannonball wall faces east, with the ball lodged next to the far right upper floor window.
Visitor Tips and News About Approximate Cannonball in Building
To spot the cannonball, look for the blue building on the corner of the square.[Lucy, 10/05/2013]
Elizabethtown provides a free downtown walking tour every Thursday through from June to September. Locals dress in period costumes and get into character and tell stories about themselves and the area. It is awesome and appropriate for all age levels and activity levels. Gather on the square at 7pm.[Stefanie Gaither, 09/02/2013]
The cannonball in the building is located in the town square, near several other interesting historic sites.[madmonkey, 09/03/2012]
In 1862, 3,900 Confederate solders attacked Elizabethtown, raining over 100 cannonballs on the town. One lodged in the outside wall of a building. The building burned down in 1887, so when the new structure went up, they put the cannonball back as close to the original spot as they could...[Jim Johnson, 07/15/2001]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Lincoln Wedding Memorial Parking Space, Elizabethtown, KY - < 1 mi.
- Memorial to America's Worst Drunk Driving Accident, Radcliff, KY - 10 mi.
- The Lincoln Museum, Hodgenville, KY - 10 mi.
- In the region: Pose With Wax Colonel Sanders, Louisville, KY - 39 mi.