McMinnville, Oregon: Erratic Rock ParkA hilltop boulder that was so out-of-place in McMinnville that it was granted its own park. With a picnic table.
- SW Oldsville Rd, McMinnville, OR
- Drive south of town on Hwy 99W/18 for 4.5 miles. Turn right onto McCabe Chapel Rd, then a quick left onto Oldsville Rd. Drive 1.5 miles, look for the brown Erratic Rock sign on the right, and park in the space provided on the left. A paved trail leads a half-mile up a steep hill to the rock.
Visitor Tips and News About Erratic Rock Park
The largest glacial erratic (rock of different type than local rock, transported to current site by glacier or ice floe in a large, glacier-dammed lake) in the Willamette Valley in western Oregon. The site is designated Erratic Rock State Park. The approx. 5m long by 2m high rock rests atop a small hill, reached via a path thru a vineyard. Great views of the Cascade Mountains from the rock.[Chet Zenone, 07/01/2001]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Alf's - Ice Cream, Burgers, and Monkey, McMinnville, OR - 6 mi.
- Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum - The Spruce Goose, McMinnville, OR - 8 mi.
- Tim Tharp Yard Art, Fort Hill, OR - 15 mi.
- In the region: 1939 Signal Tower Gas Station, Portland, OR - 41 mi.