Tofield, Alberta, Canada: "Dirty Shorts" Grain Elevator
A cryptic message on an ancient grain elevator puzzles eastbound travelers.
- Hwy 14, Tofield, AB, Canada
- On Hwy 14 about 8.5 kilometers east of town. North side of the road. The writing is on the west side, so if you are driving west you may miss it.
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Dirty Shorts Grain Elevator
Visitor Tips and News About "Dirty Shorts" Grain Elevator
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The elevator was originally called "Shonts," a one-house location lived in by the elevator agent. One Halloween some local boys changed the name to "shorts." Several years later some younger boys were more daring and managed to paint the word "dirty" above the word "shorts."
I have this information from personal experience! The elevator is owned by a local farmer.
"Dirty Shorts" Grain Elevator
This grain elevator is on Highway 14 near Tofield, Alberta, Canada. It is one of the last old-fashioned grain elevators left. I don't know why it has this message painted on the western face of the building, and I wasn't able to get any clarity from any of the locals I spoke to, but it is presumed that somebody had the you-know-what scared out of them.
[Nicky Pearson, 07/22/2001]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- World's Largest Sausage, Mundare, AB, Canada - 21 mi.
- World's Largest Easter Egg - The Pysanka, Vegreville, AB, Canada - 24 mi.
- World's Largest Mallard Duck, Andrew, AB, Canada - 40 mi.
- In the region: World's Largest Mushrooms, Vilna, AB, Canada - 61 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 6, 2013
Alberta Latest Tips and Stories
- Fantasyland Hotel - Theme Rooms, Edmonton, Alberta
- Gopher Hole Museum, Torrington, Alberta
- World's Largest Dinosaur, Drumheller, Alberta
- World's Largest Honey Bee, Falher, Alberta
- World's Largest Chess Board, Medicine Hat, Alberta
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Site of World's First Radio Telescope, Wheaton, Illinois
- Once-a-Year Monarch Butterfly Grove, Pismo Beach, California
- Quaker Giant, Milford, Delaware
- Hippie Muffler Man, Bethel, New York
- First Drive-In Filling Station, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Latest Visitor Tips