Scotia, Nebraska: Happy Jack Chalk Mine Tour
6,000 feet of honeycomb tunnels, opened as an attraction in 1997. Chalk: the white gold of the world's classrooms.
- 80131 Highway 11, Scotia, NE
- Southwest of town, on the west side of Hwy 11 about two miles south of Hwy 22.
- M-F 10 am - 5 pm, Sa-Su 10 am - 8 pm. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Happy Jack Chalk Mine
Visitor Tips and News About Happy Jack Chalk Mine Tour
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The Happy Jack Chalk Mine is now open to tourists as a very promising new roadside attraction. This "column and room" mining operation started about 130 years ago and reached its peak in the 1920s. As chalk ceased to be added to cheap paint, the mine became dormant (except for the local kids who expressed themselves all over the walls with spray paint). The best part about the tour is getting to view the photo album of all the obscene graffiti removed from the mine prior to its re-opening. Obligatory mannequins demonstrate the mining operation. Visit in the summer to appreciate the 56 degree F mine temperature.
[Dr. Todd Wyatt, 08/04/2001]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
January 26, 2015
Nebraska Latest Tips and Stories
- Titan 1 Missile, Kimball, Nebraska
- Freedom Park - Military Might, Omaha, Nebraska
- Sod House, Gothenburg, Nebraska
- Pioneer Pete the Rooster, Lincoln, Nebraska
- Fall of Saigon, Recreated, Lexington, Nebraska
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- 30-Foot-Tall Native American Head, Ocean Springs, Mississippi
- Zinc Civil War Soldier, Graves of Interest, Iola, Kansas
- Large Bird Fighting a Snake, Fort Pierce, Florida
- Pirate Statue, Otway, North Carolina
- Stuffed Moray Eel in Appliance Store, Glenview, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips