Metropolis, Illinois: Birdman of Alcatraz Grave
You'd think that he'd be buried on Alcatraz Island in California, but he was transferred to a prison in Metropolis a few years before he died.
- North St., Metropolis, IL
- Masonic Cemetery. About a half-mile north of town, on the west side of Hwy 1/N St./North St. Entrance is between Lois Lane and Metropolis St. The simple tombstone is engraved, "STROUD, Robert F., 1890-1963" [his name was Stroud]. No mention of birds.
Birdman of Alcatraz Grave
Visitor Tips and News About Birdman of Alcatraz Grave
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
I am an ex-resident of Metropolis, IL. In addition to being the Hometown of Superman, Metropolis is also the burial site of the Birdman of Alcatraz. I can't remember which cemetery he is buried in, but it's on the west side of North Avenue. You forgot to mention that Metropolis celebrates "Superman Days" in June every year. There are races, beauty contests, dance, food, etc.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Lois Lane in Bronze, Metropolis, IL - 1 mi.
- Super Museum, Metropolis, IL - 1 mi.
- Superman Statue, Metropolis, IL - 1 mi.
- In the region: Pig Car, Alien Car, Jingle Jugs Truck, McClure, IL - 43 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
May 24, 2013
Illinois Latest Tips and Stories
- Feature: Dungeons & Dragons Park, Carbondale, Illinois
- Uniroyal Gal, Mount Vernon, Illinois
- The Ledge - 1,353 Feet Straight Down, Chicago, Illinois
- The Bean - Stoners' Delight, Chicago, Illinois
- "Gertrude" the Guernsey Cow, Rockford, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Mountain Meadows Massacre Mass Grave, Central, Utah
- Replica of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, Monticello, Indiana
- The Miner's Circle - Mine Explosion Graves, Lake City, Tennessee
- Buffalo Trails Museum, Epping, North Dakota
- Ice Cream Cone Shaped Building, Kissimmee, Florida
Latest Visitor Tips