Roche Harbor, Washington: Afterglow Vista Mausoleum - Strange Grave
The local lime kilns founder is chiefly remembered for his weird faux-ruined temple mausoleum covered with cryptic symbols.
- Afterglow Drive, Roche Harbor, WA
- Take the Washington State Ferry from Anacortez, WA, or Victoria, BC, to Friday Harbor. Drive about ten miles north on Roche Harbor Rd. At the intersection with Afterglow Drive turn right and park just ahead on the right. Just a little further on Afterglow Drive a trail/road on the right leads into the woods a half-mile to the mausoleum.
Afterglow Vista Mausoleum
Visitor Tips and News About Afterglow Vista Mausoleum - Strange Grave
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
"The Mausoleum" is one of the weirdest places I've ever been. It is a short walk through a spooky garden of columns, and cryptic symbols -- a monument to the founder of the local lime kilns. The memorial to John S. McMillin's family incorporates symbols from "Masonry, the Bible, Sigma Chi fraternity and his own views of family unity." It is a testament to the eccentricity of rich people in out of the way places.
[Thayer Young, 08/22/2001]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- World's Skinniest Latte Shop, Friday Harbor, WA - 8 mi.
- Big Wooden Scuba Diver, Sidney, BC, Canada - 11 mi.
- Mineral World & Scratch Patch, Sidney, BC, Canada - 11 mi.
- In the region: World's Largest Clam Pile, Brinnon, WA - 62 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 4, 2013
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Washington Latest Tips and Stories
- Martha's Inn, George, Washington
- Metal Cows, Olympia, Washington
- Twin Peaks TV Waterfall, Snoqualmie, Washington
- Evil Lab from Short Circuit: Stand on Live Generator, North Bonneville, Washington
- Kountry Korner's Kreatures, Kingston, Washington
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Ruins of Santa's Land, Santa Claus, Arizona
- Birthplace of John Wayne, Winterset, Iowa
- World's Largest Shuttlecocks, Kansas City, Missouri
- Grave of Talking TV Horse Mr. Ed, Tahlequah, Oklahoma
- Scrap Metal Eagle, Calhoun, Georgia
Latest Visitor Tips