Anchorage, Alaska: Outhouse Races - Fur Rendezvous
Five-person teams push homemade wooden outhouses across the ice at the annual festival every February-March.
Outhouse Races - Fur Rendezvous
Visitor Tips and News About Outhouse Races - Fur Rendezvous
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Every year during a Festival called Fur Rendezvous (or "Fur Rondy"), people bring their homemade outhouses that they have decorated in various fashions downtown. One person has to be in the outhouse, and the others either push or pull it through the snow.
They also have snowshoe softball games. The people who are playing softball have to wear snowshoes. They also hold car races at the Fur Rendezvous Festival. The track is downtown, and it is made of ice.
[Katherine Pickens, 09/30/2001]
August 26, 2016
Alaska Latest Tips and Stories
- Opportunistic Wishing Well, Ketchikan, Alaska
- Cat Mayor (not Deceased), Talkeetna, Alaska
- Giant Vegetables, Palmer, Alaska
- Wishing Well of Ketchikan, Ketchikan, Alaska
- World's Largest Gold Nugget, Ketchikan, Alaska
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Depot Museum - Electrocuted Eagle, Stevenson, Alabama
- Big Lumberjack, North Las Vegas, Nevada
- Municipal Giant Slide - Sliding Board, Rocky Ridge, Maryland
- Royal Swans of Swanton, Swanton, Vermont
- Benson Ford Shiphouse, Put-in-Bay, Ohio