Anchorage, Alaska: Outhouse Races - Fur Rendezvous
Five-person teams push homemade wooden outhouses across the ice at the annual festival every February-March.
Outhouse Races - Fur Rendezvous
Visitor Tips and News About Outhouse Races - Fur Rendezvous
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Every year during a Festival called Fur Rendezvous (or "Fur Rondy"), people bring their homemade outhouses that they have decorated in various fashions downtown. One person has to be in the outhouse, and the others either push or pull it through the snow.
They also have snowshoe softball games. The people who are playing softball have to wear snowshoes. They also hold car races at the Fur Rendezvous Festival. The track is downtown, and it is made of ice.
[Katherine Pickens, 09/30/2001]
August 2, 2015
Alaska Latest Tips and Stories
- The Bird House, Bird Creek, Alaska
- Salty Dawg Saloon, Homer, Alaska
- Whispering Giant - Indian Head, Valdez, Alaska
- Lonesome Fish, Valdez, Alaska
- Cat Mayor, Talkeetna, Alaska
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Rambo First Blood Film Site, Hope, British Columbia
- World's Former Largest Cherry Pie Pan, Charlevoix, Michigan
- The Burning House, Leggett, Texas
- Colonel Allensworth State Historic Park, Earlimart, California
- Abandoned Birthplace of Aretha Franklin, Memphis, Tennessee