Springfield, Illinois: Carpet Spartan HS MascotSoutheast High has modified a large Carpet Viking statue into a large Mediterranean warrior.
Southeast High School
- 2350 E. Ash St., Springfield, IL
- Southeast High School. Southeast edge of the city, on the southwest corner of Taylor Ave. and Ash St.
Visitor Tips and News About Carpet Spartan HS Mascot
"Spartan" in front of Southeast high school, originally at a prominent home building company. The company was Barker-Lubin Homebuilders, and the statue was a Viking, with horned helmet, and wearing a "skirt"! The company must have sold something made by a "Viking company -- I think it may have been carpet.
My Dad worked at the homebuilding company for 25 years, and he once told me he had come up with the idea of giving the statue to the school district. They altered the helmet, and gave him a sword, and erected it over the front entrance to the high school. The school sports teams are "The Southeast Spartans.". He received a make-over in the early 90's with a new paint job and a bigger sword.[David Cox, 03/04/2000]
2002: Tipster E.N. wrote: "It should be noted the statue is a Spartan, not a Viking, and that in the late 90s, the head was cut off by a group of friends of mine calling themselves 'the muthas.' It was later returned and reattached like a cryogenically frozen head."
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Cozy Dog Drive In - Birthplace of Hot Dog on a Stick, Springfield, IL - 2 mi.
- Lincoln Ledger, Springfield, IL - 2 mi.
- Departure Point Of The Donner Party, Springfield, IL - 2 mi.
- In the region: Monument to Kay the Elephant, Taylorville, IL - 25 mi.