Ballarat, California: Ghost Town With Charles Manson Truck
1897 ghost town had 500 residents, fell apart in a few decades. 1960s Manson murder cult lived on nearby Barker ranch. 1942 Dodge power wagon was said to be driven by Manson and Tex Watson. Bonus: grave of prospector Seldom Seen Slim.
- Ballarat Rd, Ballarat, CA
- From Trona-Wildrose Rd turn east at the Ballarat turnoff onto Ballarat Rd (a well maintained gravel road). Drive 3.5 miles to Ballarat. You'll see the truck on the left at the main intersection in town.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Visitor Tips and News About Ghost Town With Charles Manson Truck
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Ghost Town With Charles Manson Truck
The people at the General Store are nice. Bring cash. Drinks are $3. Serious off-roading for 4WD vehicles. [BackroadsBuck, 04/28/2016]
Ghost Town With Charlie's Truck
In its heyday, Ballarat had seven saloons, hotels, and more. But as the mines played out, the town was abandoned and all that remains are a few adobe walls, especially where the old post office used to be.
It is a self-described "free zone" with a general store/trading post - and an old truck that once belonged to Charlie Manson, from when his "family" lived in a ranch south of town. [Mulvaney, 05/29/2015]
May 23, 2017
California Latest Tips and Stories
- Venice Beach Freakshow, Venice, California
- World Famous Grandfather Tree, Piercy, California
- Exotic World, Helendale, California
- Feature: Muffler Man, Compton, California
- Feature: Gold Prospector Statue, Yuba City, California
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- A-7 Corsair II Aircraft, Cullom, Illinois
- Oxley, Metal Ox, Green Bay, Wisconsin
- Ashes of First Cremated American, Washington, Pennsylvania
- Trolley Graveyard, Windber, Pennsylvania
- Feature: Stumpy's Hatchet House, Eatontown, New Jersey