Medicine Lodge, Kansas: Carry Nation's Whackin' Hatchet
Medicine Lodge Stockade Museum
- 209 W. Fowler Ave., Medicine Lodge, KS
- Carry Nation Home. On the south edge of town, on the grounds of the Medicine Lodge Stockade Museum. It's on US Hwy 160 about a quarter-mile west of the junction of US Hwy 281.
- Daily 10:30 am - 5 pm, or 1-4 pm off-season. (Call to verify)
Displayed in the childhood home of Kansas's most spirited prohibitionist. The hatchet was one of her weapons of choice for smashing up saloons. Roadsideamerica.com Report... [04/17/2009]
Visitor Tips and News About Carry Nation's Whackin' Hatchet
Here is a photo of your sweetheart, Carry Nation [also spelled "Carrie"], that I took at the little roadside museum in Medicine Lodge, KS. They have an old stockade museum on the south side of US 160. This is not far from the Big Well at Greensburg, Old Ft. Dodge, south west of Dodge City, Mullenville, and of course, Pawnee Rock.
Carry was quite the character. The museum has claimed the home in which it resides as her childhood home. Her bar-destroying hatchet and other artifacts can also be viewed.[Glen Soldan, 02/03/1999]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Home of Beautiful Women, Hot and Cold Water Towers, Pratt, KS - 27 mi.
- Cherokee Strip Museum, Alva, OK - 33 mi.
- Haunted Gymnasium - Cafe, Avard, OK - 42 mi.
- In the region: Ornate Box Turtle Capital of the World, Caldwell, KS - 56 mi.