Downers Grove, Illinois: Sears Catalog Home Capital of the World (Gone)
In its print catalog heyday, Sears sold mail-order do-it-yourself houses. The citizens of Downers Grove were its best customers. The houses do not have "Sears" labels.
- Most of the homes were clustered in the neighborhood around the train station, which is on Main St. six blocks south of US Hwy 34/E. Ogden Ave.
- April 2015: Reported gone.
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Sears Catalog Home Capital of the World
Visitor Tips and News About Sears Catalog Home Capital of the World
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Sadly, they have all been knocked down. A gas station replaced a few of them, and the rest of the lots now have new homes built on them. The last home was knocked down in maybe 2007. Very sad, they were cool. [Ben Perdue, 04/14/2015]
Sears Catalog Home Capital wants tourists
The village of Downers Grove, IL wants tourists. Their lure is an unusual concentration of Sears do-it-yourself homes.
... [06/22/1997] Complete News Story
April 24, 2017
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Illinois Latest Tips and Stories
- Meals Delivered by Train, Des Plaines, Illinois
- Muffler Man and Giant Tricycle, Livingston, Illinois
- Muffler Man - Lumberjacks, Crystal Lake, Illinois
- Planes, Trains, and Automobiles Motel, Gurnee, Illinois
- Rooster in a Top Hat, East Peoria, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Cannonball in a Church Wall, Greeneville, Tennessee
- Rowdy the Roadrunner, San Antonio, Texas
- Der Rheinlander German-Themed Restaurant, Portland, Oregon
- Forrest Gump's Bench, Savannah, Georgia
- Stainless Steel Drowned Lifeguard, Newport Beach, California