Chicopee, Massachusetts: Muffler Man - Big White Guy
Plantation Inn of New England
- 295 Burnett Rd, Chicopee, MA
- Plantation Inn of New England. I-90 exit 6. Drive through the tollbooths, turn right onto Burnett Rd, then quickly turn left at the stoplight onto 1st Ave., then immediately turn left onto another Burnett Rd, then immediately turn left into a parking lot. The Big White Guy will be straight ahead.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Big fiberglass statue in snappy white suit and top hat. Roadsideamerica.com Report...
Visitor Tips and News About Muffler Man - Big White Guy
In a former life, this statue was the Uncle Sam that stood in front of Mutual Ford in Springfield, MA, until 1999. Now painted completely white, with a softish-Muffler Man head and top hat. He appears to be a mix of liquor branding gentility: the top-hatted Johnny Walker with the white-suited Jack Daniels. The catchphrase of The Plantation Inn is "Southern hospitality in New England." The Big White Guy appears to serve as a visual marker for the C-5As that lumber continuously overhead, landing at a nearby Air Force base.[Roadsideamerica.com Team, 07/19/2005]
The big guy identified in an earlier tip.[Rich Birley, 05/19/2001]
This is a puzzling mixture of "Service Station Man" arm positioning, and an ersatz M-Man head with overly defined eyes, nose and lips...
A very tall Muffler Man-type statue greets you as you exit the Massachusetts Turnpike tollbooth at the Route 291 exit in Chicopee/Springfield. It has a good resemblance to Abraham Lincoln, if he were dressed up as a waiter. The statue is dressed in an all-white suite with a white top hat. It's waving at you, apparently welcoming you to the city or congratulating you for surviving the most boring part of the Turnpike.[Doug Grandin, 04/15/2001]
At exit 6 off the Mass. Turnpike. Been there about 6 months. Formerly at a car dealer in Springfield for 30+ years. It was painted like Uncle Sam. When the dealership folded it was moved to the Plantation Inn and painted white like a southern gentleman.[Thom Page, 08/11/1999]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Titanic Museum, Indian Orchard, MA - 2 mi.
- Dr. Seuss National Memorial Garden, Springfield, MA - 5 mi.
- Private Monument to Rocky Marciano, Springfield, MA - 5 mi.
- In the region: World's Largest Candle in World's Largest Candle Store, South Deerfield, MA - 23 mi.