Delaware, Ohio: Gas Station Birthplace of Rutherford B. Hayes
A granite block with a bronze plaque in front of a BP gas station marks the spot where President Hayes was born. It was unveiled in 1926, the same year that the birthplace home was demolished. The granite slab on which the plaque is mounted is inscribed "President Hayes Memorial," but he didn't die here; he was born here.
- 17 E. William St., Delaware, OH
- Downtown, on US 36/William St. a half-block east of Sandusky St. The plaque is on the north side, directly in front of the BP station.
Rutherford B. Hayes Memorial BP Station
Visitor Tips and News About Gas Station Birthplace of Rutherford B. Hayes
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
How do we Delawareans celebrate our own president? By knocking down his house in historic downtown Delaware and putting a gas station there! A British one at that! There is a rock in front that commemorates it. Interestingly, his wife's house is still standing in southern Ohio.
[Doug Linn, 12/24/2001]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
March 8, 2014
Ohio Latest Tips and Stories
- Lucky Cat Museum, Cincinnati, Ohio
- World's Largest Loaf of Bread, Urbana, Ohio
- Early Television Museum, Hillard, Ohio
- Feature: Giant Chair of 9/11, Warren, Ohio
- Feature: David Grohl Alley, World's Largest Drumsticks, Warren, Ohio
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Mr. Little, Santa Ana, California
- Menagerie of Sculptures, New Gretna, New Jersey
- Sci-Fi Donut Store, Bellingham, Washington
- Tardis in South Carolina, York, South Carolina
- Huge Paper Airplane, Mukilteo, Washington
Latest Visitor Tips