Delaware, Ohio: Gas Station Birthplace of Rutherford B. Hayes
A granite block with a bronze plaque in front of a gas station marks the spot where President Hayes was born. It was unveiled in 1926, the same year that the birthplace home was demolished.
- 17 E. William St., Delaware, OH
- Downtown, on US 36/William St. a half-block east of Sandusky St. The plaque is on the north side, directly in front of the BP station.
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Gas Station Birthplace of Rutherford B. Hayes
Visitor Tips and News About Gas Station Birthplace of Rutherford B. Hayes
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Historical marker is at the site where President Hayes was born in Delaware, Ohio. [Tim Bash, 03/24/2014]
Rutherford B. Hayes Memorial BP Station
How do we Delawareans celebrate our own president? By knocking down his house in historic downtown Delaware and putting a gas station there! A British one at that! There is a rock in front that commemorates it. Interestingly, his wife's house is still standing in southern Ohio.
[Doug Linn, 12/24/2001]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
March 28, 2015
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Ohio Latest Tips and Stories
- Iwo Jima Becomes Nativity Scene, Mutual, Ohio
- Smiling Man Made of Car Parts, Columbus, Ohio
- Harris Dental Museum, Bainbridge, Ohio
- Rooftop Robots, Dayton, Ohio
- Mouse and Cheese Totem Pole, Orrville, Ohio
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Vicksburg National Military Park, Vicksburg, Mississippi
- Big Chicken Statue, Byron Center, Michigan
- Historic Oakville Jail and Guesthouse, Oakville, Texas
- Dancing Blues Brothers, Joliet, Illinois
- Tom's Cypress, Waldo, Florida
Latest Visitor Tips