Escondido, California: Muffler Man - Joor Man
- 302 East Valley Parkway, Escondido, CA
- Take Valley Parkway east from I-15 to Grand Avenue and continue east to Juniper, then turn north (left) two blocks to intersection of Juniper and Valley Parkway. Grand Avenue is the eastbound one-way complement to Valley Parkway.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
The giant, fiberglass Joor Man holds a large muffler and is dressed up seasonally. One of hundreds of similar 1960s era roadside statues. Roadsideamerica.com Report...
Visitor Tips and News About Muffler Man - Joor Man
Muffler Man used in Money Magazine advertisement for Travelers Insurance, page 19 of the July 2007 edition. [The Joor Muffler Man has been doctored to appear as if his hand and muffler have fallen off and crushed a sports car.][Terry Birley, 07/21/2007]
The Joor Muffler Man got a new Santa suit this year, as seen in this photo taken in December.
The best news was that they have commissioned the seamstress who made the Santa suit to sew a Hawaiian shirt for him to wear this summer! Totally awesome. I just love the Muffler Men. I grew up in Lakewood California and in nearby Long Beach there was a Carpeteria Man, who held a roll of carpet.[Wendy Barker, 02/06/2007]
Happened across your terrific site and found your giant men of interest. Especially one in particular -- "Paul Bunyan" -- we thought of him when he first arrived in Escondido. My Dad, Jack Cullens, was the person who put him there. Dad owned Palomar Neon Signs in Escondido from the fifties to 1980, when he passed away. We installed giant fiberglass characters and animals at a number of locations in southern California. After his death, I installed the new "MUFFLERS" sign faces atop the sign in your photo.
I am retired now and the business is long gone, but I still remember the muffler guy and how the people of what used to be a small town were amused by him.[Doug Cullens, 03/28/2006]
The Joor muffler man had a bear sidekick that was stolen, I think in the late 1970's. I have heard it is in someone's back yard about 3 miles away.[Bart, 02/02/2003]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Grape Slide, Climbing Twigs, Escondido, CA - < 1 mi.
- Mexican Food in a Big Barrel, Escondido, CA - < 1 mi.
- Queen Califia's Magical Circle Garden - Temporarily Closed, Escondido, CA - 3 mi.
- In the region: Presidents Museum in a High School, San Diego, CA - 23 mi.